Tuesday 24 August 2010

Warfare

So, in case you couldn't tell from my previous blogs, I'm a little excited about this book I'm reading called the Hunger Games. And, really, I think it's beging to go to my head.

See, I have this habbit, well...it's more of a quirk, really. When I really like a book and I really identify with a character, I take on the emotional state of that character. For example, when Henry the Eigth wanted to divorce Anne of Cleves because he said that she was 'too plain' in Philipa Greggory's the Bolyn Inheritance, I spent the entire day mopping about the streets of London moping about being plain and unattractive with absolutely no prompting. In essence, I became Anne of Cleves.

Well, right now,(A little bit of a Hunger Games spoiler here for people who haven't read the first book), Katniss Everdeen is in the woods and has just managed to survive a fire attack by the game makers. There is danger around every corner and everyone around her has a stratagey and, ultimately plan on killing her.

I'm in 'The Games' part of the book, and I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like danger and attacks have been around every corner today. First, I take my eyes off the road for one second and I find myself driving over a curb. Next the oldsmobile that parks next to my car almost crashes into me. Then, someone ran a stop sign and would have run into me if Luna hadn't had nice, quick brakes.

Other things started happening to me today too. I started, with no obvious prompting, to doubt myself, to feel as though I was going to be fired (though no one at work has even hinted that I'm not performing well), to feel as though I would never reach my goals, to fell like I was stupid and lazy. Again, I'm not sure where these thoughts came from, but where ever they came from I began to answer myself in 'battle tactic' terminology.

I began to tell myself things like:
'Pull yourself together' and 'you can't afford to show weakness, you can't afford to feel sorry for yourself', ' you have to keep going on or they'll all think you're an easy target'. I know for a fact that these phrases came from 'The Hunger Games' and, in a way, they helped a lot.

I mean, really, when you stop to think about it we're all in a competition, a fight to survive everyday. Sometimes we're fighting against normal external factors, some times we're fighting against ourselves and sometimes (I, personally beleive), we're fighting against suppernatural sources that we can't see ( I can see some of you backing away from the insane evangelical girl with her crazy blogs about things like angels and deamons).

I'm not saying that a deamon almost ran over my car at a stop sign today, however, I am saying that thinking in battle tactics can sometimes be helpful. If we're going to go through a tough world, sometimes we've got to be tough with it.

So, thank you Katniss Everdeen, thank you.

In other news, only one more day before Sarah comes! We've got a lot to do, house wise, before she gets here. But, I'm really, really excited all the same! And, Sarah, I'll have the first book done by the time you get here. I promise.

Well, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment