Friday 20 August 2010

Friday Life Review

I have a confession: I didn't read a book this week.

See, my Mom's mostly been taking me to work and when I AM on the bus, my time is now consumed with my Tetris obession (I'm begining to think I have a problem). Because of that and my fatigue when I get home at night, I haven't (reallly) done anything worthwhile or productive with my time at all.

I've been searching the internet, watching Star Trek, working and blogging. And, to tell the truth, I hardly notice that I'm wasting my own time while I'm doing it. It's become so routine for me not to do anything that when I don't do anything nothing seems a miss.

Despite this, there are nights like tonight which make me realize how much more awesome my life would be if I would just get up. I guess this night inspired me to think about my life. So, since you don't have a book review, maybe, you can consider this a...life review?

See, tonight I did do something. I went to a concert at our church.

'A concert at a church?' you ask.

'Kurt Whelan' I'll answer.

Now most of you are probably asking yourselves 'who?' at which point I will begin to wave statistics at you about platinum jazz, saxaphone records, eight emmy nominations and inform you that he is, the greatest jazz saxaphoneist of our time and one of the last great jazz musicians.

(For proof check wikipedia, which is right about everything:

However, his talent and musicality were not what inspired me to get out of my stationary life and 'get on up'. Kurt did this whole concert for free to promote a new private middle school for boys in an inner city neighborhood.

He also preached durring the concert and seemed to have something to say to everyone. He talked about what I've been saying to anyone who will listen. About how we're all in this world together and that we must band together to make a difference.

It's amazing how he's been able to use his gift. While in the concert, I started to realize, I have gifts to and, really, I've been amazingly selfish with them. I have all these plans, which I don't really do much to make come about. All of which, are also, very selfish.

I realized tonight, that I don't want to sing or perform just for me. Whatever I can do, I want to do it for God and to help other people. The talents I have aren't mine, after all, they really belong to God. It's about time I got out of the way and let him do what he wants with them.

So, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to get out of the way and ask God to use me however he wants to use me.

So...sorry if that was a bit preachy. (I mean next thing you know, I'll be wanting to 'minister' to you and 'tell you what's on my heart' and using other terrifying church staple phrases). I had to give you something interesting after promising to give you a book review and then having no book to give. I hope you have enjoyed this life review.

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment