Monday 30 August 2010

BEDA Fail and Life in the Capitol

So... I didn't post a blog yesterday. Which means I kind of failed at the whole 'blog everyday in August' thingy.

Honestly, it's easy to say "oh, of course I can blog everyday in August. How hard can it be?". But then, inevitably, you come home tired from work, or you go to a water park or the pool, or your sister comes to stay so you're out late doing vacationy things, or (in my case), a combination of all of these occurs.

Vacationy things can really wipe you out. Going to Schlieterbann on Saturday was, in and of itself, exhausting. However we also went to a party with some of my Dad's friends and then out to eat. All of it was more than either Sarah and I could take, beleive it or not.

Which brings me to my next point (sort of...not really...but I needed a segue). See, Sarah gave me this book called "Set-Apart" it's talking about Women being set apart for God and sort of turning our backs on the things of this world. While it's a little radical, it has made me think about the things we're bombarded with, particularly in the United States.

We (I probably more than anyone), sit for hours in front of the television and the computer (as much as I love it), we have more than enough to eat and then complain when we put on weight. We are obsessed with fashion and celebrity and spend thousands of dollars on making ourselves look and feel better. Sexual obsession is looked upon as healthy and neccesarry (especially for men) and peoples individual and private dramas are splashed across the television as entertainment.

There is a society similar to this featured in the other book I'm reading The Hunger Games. In this strange city people are obesessed with surgically altering themselves, wear new outlandish fashions every week, indulge in rich, decadent food and watch children fight and die on television for profit and entertainment.

It's amazing how easily we could become exactly like the citizens in The Capitol. Indeed, we're half way there all ready. I'm as much, if not more to blame in this than anyone else, I spend so much time talking and thinking about myself and I hardly give a thought to others who don't have the luxuries that I take for granted.

More than that, I don't even take the time to thank God for the innumerable and amazing blessings I have. Instead I complain to him about my body or my living situation or my lack of money. Silly, insignificant tidbits, really.

So, now, I will make another vow. Along with my vow of 'No more pitty parties' I also make a vow to take an hour everyday to spend alone with God in order to thank him for all I have. I'll also make a vow to do at least one thing for one other person with no personal agenda everyday.

Like blogging it won't be easy and I'm absolutely certain I won't want to do it everyday, but it's something I'll just have to do.

I also feel like I really need to look more into the peac corps. So, I'll probably be doing that too.

Well, with that helpful thought, I bid you good night my dear blog reading sextet.

Only one more day to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment