Saturday 28 August 2010

The Promised book review

I completely forgot I promised a review of The Hunger Games for yesterday. I find my days are so filled with vacationy things that I'm exhausted by the time I get home and can't think properly to write a decent blog post.

But, as promised, here it is. Again not a literary masterpeice, more of an incoherent ramble.

So, in case you're not familiar, the Hunger Games is a young adult fiction series which takes place in a post apocalyptic North America which has been transformed into a nation of 13 districts ruled by an affluent, tyranical Capitol. About 75 years before the book series begins district thirteen rebeled against the Capitol and the capitol destroyed the district. Now, as a reminder of the capitols power over the districts, and the futility of resistance, the Capitol requires that two tributes, a boy and a girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district be randomly selected to go to the Capitol in order to participate in the Hunger Games. In the games the 24 tributes must fight eachother to the death on live television and only one Tribute must be left alive for the games to end.

The story revolves around Katniss, a girl from district 12 in what used to be West Virginia, voulunteers to go in place of her Sister.

I won't tell you more than that for fear of spoiling you. (Really, all that information can be gleaned from the back cover). I will tell you that this is, beyond a doubt, the best young adult series I have read in a long time. The plot is orriginal and engaging, the characters are increadibly complex and realistic.

There are historical references, (obvious ones to the Capitol as Rome and the hunger games compared to the Gladiator matches, obviously Roman names for Capitol characters) and also references to pop culture that really make you think twice about that harmless reality television show I watch all the time.

It is an amazing series and one I hightly recomend. Not much of a review, but I'm tired, so, it'll have to do.

So, good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment